Wednesday, January 15, 2014

Judgment Day

I've been thinking a lot lately about judgment....no, not judgment that involves hell fire and damnation, but the kind of judgment that can be so flagrantly present in our thoughts and conversations.  I am tempted to continue on saying that "we do this' and "we do that" but I'll refrain from that judgment and speak only for myself!

Something happens.  For example, a car pulls out in front of me.  Or, I have to make more changes in my dissertation.  Or, I can't get my gas logs to work.  Or, it rains, or the sun shines, or it is cold, or it is hot.  Something happens, and I assign a value to it.  This is good.  This is better.  This is bad.  This is worse.  Often, I will think it necessary to express my judgment with a few more opinions thrown in, just in case my point did not come across clearly.

A colleague recently said, "I am learning that I don't have to have a judgment for everything."  Wow!  He is right.  I don't have to have a judgment either, and even when I do, I certainly do not have to make it public.  Can you imagine keeping an opinion to yourself???  Who does such a wild and crazy thing?

But, the truth is, when I judge something as good or bad, I feel either good or bad.  When I make my judgment public, I bring you into my feeling, for better or for worse.  And, sometimes things are not so easily labeled.  Somethings things just ARE.  "It is what it is" is a saying that holds much truth.

It is not good.  It is not bad.  It simply is what it is.  I am going to try to remember that.

No comments:

Post a Comment