Sunday, February 9, 2014

I can only do so much

Sometimes, I look at the CNN news web-site, and the stories of cruelty that I find there are overwhelming.  It can be human to human cruelty, and this week, it was human to animal cruelty.  I realize that there are many differing opinions on what defines cruelty, but between the stories of the stray dogs in Sochi being rounded up and killed and the giraffe in the Copenhagen Zoo being shot and fed to lions due to overpopulation...well, those stories literally turned my stomach.

We live in a disposable society where it is deemed appropriate to kill something to get it out of the way.  Not only is it deemed appropriate, sometimes spectators show up for the show.

This morning, one of my Sunday group participants lamented that the news often made her feel helpless because there was only so much that she could do.

And, I guess these stories make me feel the same way.  There is only so much I can do.  Now, the question is....does that cause me to give up?  Or, does it cause me to do what I can with a renewed spirit?

Time will tell.

No comments:

Post a Comment