Wednesday, July 25, 2012

Big houses and old books

This morning, on my walk, I noticed a HUGE house (I walk through a neighborhood that is like "Lifestyles of the Rich and Famous"). But, this particular house had a sign out front that identified it as being built by some person whose name I can't remember, but it served as quarters to the Continental Army and was also a stop on the Underground Railroad. I'll try to get a picture.

We spent all afternoon reviewing projects for our dissertations. And, then, the theology school had a little picnic for us. It was nice - free food! Great opportunity to talk with the other DMin students who are in other classes. We are really a diverse group. One fellow is from St. Kitts - I'd love to be the faculty person assigned to HIS site visit

Then, my Reading as a Spiritual Discipline class went to the library to look at some books in their special collection - which is quite impressive. We saw several Bibles, one dating back to 1550. And, we also saw one book of writings by Jerome that had a print date of 1478. Our professor, of course, got to handle them all and pointed out things. He noted that one book had belonged to a woman, which was apparently a big deal back in the day. In this age, when books are so easy to get - digitally or in print - it is moving to see books that old...some with names in them and personal study notes. People have been trying to understand our sacred texts for a long, long time.

Well, it is 11 PM and I've been up since 5 AM. I did not have to be up that early - I just woke up and started thinking about what I needed to accomplish today, so I got up. That said, I'm ready for a good night's sleep. I have a presentation tomorrow evening, so you know, I need my beauty rest.

No comments:

Post a Comment