Sunday, July 15, 2012

A Little Hospitality Goes a Long Way


Well, I survived the drivers on the New Jersey Turnpike and made it to Drew!  And, there is a reason that dorm life is for younger people…mercy!  My room has two beds, two desks, two dressers…and that’s it!  I’ll post a picture later, but suffice it to say that the dorm rooms here will not be making it to the cover of House Beautiful.  I did bring my snorkeling panda from my office, so he cheers the place up a bit.  Tomorrow, we meet at 8:30 AM for an orientation breakfast and we stay in orientation all day.   For those of us who signed up for the night class, we start tomorrow night.  Tomorrow will be a long day.

But, I am feeling ready.  Of course, I’ve done as much as I can in preparation, but that’s not why I feel ready.  I feel ready because I spent the weekend with Gil and Sheila and experienced such hospitality.  From the time I arrived until we went our separate ways (literally)on the interstate, they took care of me.  I felt so welcome and so at home.  We spent a couple of days and nights seeing the sights in D.C.  It was phenomenal.  They took me to memorials after dark – the PANDAS - the Capitol – the White House (and I was inside looking out the window when Marine One flew in and picked up the President)!  We went to see the Addams Family at the Kennedy Center, and boy, did we eat well.  All of that was fantastic, but it was the spirit that they brought to my visit that made the weekend more than a good sightseeing tour.   It was their friendship freely offered that took care of me, encouraged me,  and sent me off ready to face whatever the next three weeks may hold. 

That’s the power of Christian hospitality – it creates new friendships and those friendships give birth to another little corner of peace on earth.

No comments:

Post a Comment