Thursday, July 5, 2012

I leave in a week!

Well, I think I've just finished writing my last sermon until August -  I still have to polish it up, but the bulk is done.  So, what's left to do before I start on my educational adventure?  Obviously, I have to pack, and I am so hoping that my classmates will be as casual as I intend to be for the next few weeks.  I know what to expect from my regional group that meets in Charlotte.  But, this summer, we will be in class with regional groups from all over the country...so who knows what their 'flavor' will be?  I also have to try to remember what it's like to live in a dorm - and what do I need to make that as good as it can be...extension cords?  A little refrigerator?  Ear plugs?  The last time I lived in a dorm room, I think I had a poster of Tom Cruise on my wall...and to think he has just turned 50!  It's been a long time.

Anyway, I've been really anxious.  Worried about the drive, the work, the reading, the writing, the being in class with people day in and day out.  But, I had moment at Christmount last week.  I went out on the prayer walk later in the afternoon, and I took my little travel Bible (which is just the cutest thing in the world).  While I am not one to encourage spiritual growth by closing your eyes, opening your bible, running your finger down the page and then believing you have received a message from God...that is exactly what I did!  I was just feeling stressed.  The passage that I fell upon was from Isaiah 43:1-2, 4.  It goes like this:

But now thus says the Lord, he who created you, O Jacob, he who formed you, O Israel:
Do not fear, for I have redeemed you;  I have called you by name, you are mine.

When you pass through the waters, I will be with you;
and through the rivers, they shall not overwhelm you;
when you walk through fire you shall not be burned,
and the flame shall not consume you....

Because you are precious in  my sight, and honored, and I love you.

That passage hit home.  Do not fear.  I have called you by name.  You are mine.

I am not called by Drew University.  I am called by God.  I do not belong to my professors or my assignments or my successes or my failures.  I belong to God.  The truth is that I've been trying to power through all my assignments by will power - on my own strength.  Granted, I do have to be diligent in my efforts, but ultimately, it is God who steps in and pulls me through.  Somehow, that reminder gave me the push I needed.


So, bring it, Drew!

No comments:

Post a Comment